Dr. Badia Operated Cayman Islands two-time Olympian swimmer Shaune Fraser
Shaune Fraser won the Silver medal for the 200 m free style at the XVI Pan American Games shortly after having gone through wrist surgery in Miami and intense physiotherapy routine back home in Grand Cayman.
Fraser had an abnormal growth in his wrist and with all the time he spent training in and outside of the pool, it was becoming more and more bothersome and the pain was increasing. His local doctors, in Cayman, recommended he visit Dr. Alejandro Badia in Miami, a hand & upper limb surgeon and an authority in sports injuries. Dr. Badia was hesitant to leap into surgery but Shaune knew that the only way to permanently take care of the pain was to get rid of the growth.
“We performed a partial fusion of that bone, eliminating the joint so that there was no micro-motion at this point. To do this, we had to do some bone grafting and basically create a bridging area of bone so that the pain would be eliminated. More importantly, we made sure the pain wouldn’t come back. Obviously it didn’t, he was able to compete and he made it to the semi finals, which is really an impressive, and for me, very enviable accomplishment!” – explains Dr. Badia, President of ISSPORTH (International Society for Sport Traumatology of the Hand).
Fraser then slowly eased back into the water, while regaining full motion of his hand. Fortunately, Dr. Badia and the great physical therapists back in Cayman were able to coordinate the ongoing care.
Badia Hand to Shoulder Patient’s VIP Services:
With the help of Atlantic Corporate Travel (Madeline Martinez -305-670-6550), Badia Hand to Shoulder can provide the following services for those patients traveling to Miami for treatment/surgery:
- Multilingual Staff
- Private chauffeured service – includes transfers between the ambulatory surgery center and hotel, airport transfers, transportation to and from Dr. Alejandro Badia’s office, shopping etc.
- All business and leisure travel arrangements
- Airline, hotel and car reservations
- 24/7 access to travel agents
- Negotiated business class and economy airfares
- Negotiated and corporate hotel rates with discounts for BHS patients
- Corporate car rental rates
- Onsite MRI and rehabilitation services
Request a Telemedicine E-Visit