Dr. Alejandro Badia and Badia Hand to Shoulder Center Team Participating in 2018 Walk to Cure Arthritis – Miami, FL
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, in Miami at Tropical Park Stadium, Miami residents will participate in the Walk to Cure Arthritis and experience the power of standing together to fight arthritis and giving back to the community. And Team Badia will be participating and supporting this important yearly event.
There’s a few ways you can help:
- By participating on the Walk to Cure Arthritis – event information for Miami residents. If you are not in Miami, check for nearby locations for the Walk
- By donating to help fund a cure for arthritis – support Badia Hand to Shoulder Team’s fundraising goal by donating via this link
Your donation will help fund a cure for arthritis by:
- Helping the Arthritis Foundation address the shortage of rheumatologists by funding new fellowships
- Helping the Arthritis Foundation advocate to remove barriers to care: high costs of treatment, difficulty accessing medications and more
- Helping the Arthritis Foundation advance research to discover better treatments to reduce arthritis pain and increase mobility
- Helping the Arthritis Foundation address the needs of the 300,000 kids diagnosed with arthritis, and their families, through educational opportunities, camps and other resources
- Helping the Arthritis Foundation provide educational materials and online information so that 1 in 4 Americans with arthritis can fight back against this disease
About the Walk to Cure Arthritis
The Arthritis Foundation’s Walk to Cure Arthritis is an annual, nationwide event that supports our mission of finding a cure and championing the fight against arthritis with life-changing information, advocacy, science and community. Funds raised through events nationwide support the Arthritis Foundation’s work to speed up the timeline to a cure, while also fighting for everyday victories. Every dollar raised helps pave the way to a lifetime of better.
Arthritis is America’s #1 cause of disability
- Arthritis impacts more than 50 million Americans (1 in 5 adults) and 300,000 children (1 in every 250).
- Two-thirds of people with arthritis are under the age of 65.
- Arthritis in children can cause eye inflammation and growth problems; it can also cause bones and joints to grow unevenly.
- Each year, arthritis costs the U.S. economy more than $156 billion.
Arthritis is a serious health problem
- There are more than 100 different forms of arthritis.
- Arthritis limits physical activity more frequently than heart disease, cancer or diabetes.
- Some forms of arthritis are autoimmune with inflammatory conditions that can affect the joints, muscles, eyes and internal organs.
- Each year, arthritis results in nearly 10,000 deaths.
About Dr. Alejandro Badia:
Alejandro Badia, MD, FACS is a hand and upper extremity surgeon at Badia Hand to Shoulder Center, a fully integrated clinical facility for the upper limb, including Hand, Wrist, Shoulder and Elbow, located in Doral, Florida. Dr. Badia was educated at Cornell and NYU, trained in orthopedics at Bellevue Hospital/NYU Medical Center, followed with a hand/microsurgery fellowship in Pittsburgh and trauma fellowship in Germany. He has served as worldwide president of the International Society for Sport Traumatology of the Hand (ISSPORTH) and co-founded the Miami Anatomical Research and Training Center (M.A.R.C.), the world’s largest surgical cadaveric training lab and The Surgery Center at Doral, an elite state-of-the-art ambulatory surgery center.
Dr. Badia has published numerous articles, written multiple book chapters, and has been an invited speaker or lecturer in nearly twenty-five countries. He is a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH), American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS) and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) as well as numerous other international hand surgery and arthroscopy associations. Additionally, Dr. Badia served as honored professor at the prestigious Philadelphia Hand Course. For 10 consecutive years, Dr. Badia has been on the editorial review board of the Techniques in Upper Extremity Surgery, comprised of International key opinion leaders in upper limb surgery. Dr. Badia runs an active international hand fellowship, serves on the editorial board of two hand journals and for eight consecutive years, organized a two-day conference and learning symposium for surgeons/therapists devoted to upper limb arthroscopy and arthroplasty.
After years of a successful medical career and a renowned international speaking legacy, he saw a need for specialized orthopedic urgent care centers to immediately assess and treat a range of orthopedic and sports injuries and founded OrthoNOW®, the only orthopedic urgent care center franchise in the country. He serves as Medical Director of the franchise’s flagship location in Doral, Florida which has a team of orthopedic specialists on staff that treat broken bones, sprains, torn ligaments and muscles, cuts, sports and workers’ compensation injuries.
Dr. Badia, a two-time South Florida Business Journal Top 100 Power Leaders in Healthcare and a Top 100 Under 50 Diverse Executive Leader by Diversity MBA Magazine, has also been honored with Legacy Awards from Today’s Work Comp Professionals and The Doral Business Council. OrthoNOW® was named a “Top Ten Franchise Opportunity” in healthcare by Entrepreneur Magazine and featured in the following media: Franchise Times, Orthopedics This Week, South Florida Business Journal, Franchise USA Magazine and The Miami Herald.